The Hudson Valley offers outdoor competitions for athletes of all calibers
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. (May 8, 2018) – Whether you’re looking to hike it, bike it, or run it, Orange County, N.Y. has a race for you! With its winding roads and rugged terrain, the Hudson Valley offers challenging courses with a stunning scenic backdrop. Warm weather beckons athletes and offers a variety of picturesque trails and country roads to conquer throughout the spring, summer, and fall.
Extend your race weekend with an overnight stay at one of the county’s select hotels or cozy inns. Enjoy an early morning run through quaint neighborhoods before heading off for a day of exploration at one of the many museums, galleries and farm-to-table restaurants.
Orange County, N.Y.’s 2018 race calendar includes:
- Hercules Fitness Challenge, Ring Homestead Camp, 257 Lybolt Road, Middletown, Saturday, May 26, 2018: The overall course includes a 5K Run (beginner and intermediate) or 7K Run (advanced and elite) through the Not-So Enchanted Forest and across diverse terrain and 28 obstacles of varying difficulty within “12 Labors” or sections. Finish line festival immediately following the race. herculesfitnesschallenge.com/
- Spartan Race: Tri-State New York Sprint Weekend, Tuxedo Ridge Ski Center, 581 NY-17A, Tuxedo Park, Saturday, June 2 – Sunday, June 3, 2018: Test your mental and physical strength with a 3-12-mile sprint and more than 20 masterfully-designed obstacles to push your limits. spartan.com/en/race/detail/2160/overview
- Stewart State Forest Bike Tour, 174 Ridge Road, Rock Tavern, Sunday, June 3, 2018: Grab your mountain bikes or hybrids and gear up to ride in the 7,000-acre Stewart State Forest! This annual event features three levels of rides: 8.5 miles, 10 miles and 19 miles on well-marked trails and old country roads. Registered riders receive maps. Afterward, there’s lunch featuring pasture raised beef hamburgers, local farm baked pies, and ice cream, plus mini massages, a silent auction and more. bikereg.com/stewart-state-forest-bike-tour
- Orange Class 10K, Middletown High School, 30 Gardner Extension Avenue, Middletown, Sunday, June 3, 2018: This event draws athletes from all levels—from the elite, who pick up the pace, to the novice, who may be completing this distance for the first time. The route is a “Tour of Middletown” and its historic neighborhoods. classic10k.com/classic10k.html
- Farm to Fork Fondo, Warwick Valley Winery, 114 Little York Road, Warwick, Saturday, June 9 – Sunday, June 10, 2018: Embark on an 10-80-mile ride through the Hudson Valley’s black dirt regional, witnessing breathtaking views and dozens of local farms. With four ride options available, challenge yourself with 10, 35, 50 or 80-mile courses and stop for chef-prepared bites at farms along the way. farmforkfondo.com/hudson-valley/
- Tour de Goshen, Joint Recreational Park, 118 Craigville Road, Goshen, Saturday, August 19, 2018: Hudson Valley’s premier charity bicycle ride, offering fun for families and competitive racers alike, includes four choices of rides: 62, 46, 22, or 11 miles. Come early for coffee, fruit and bagels! joefixits.com/bikes/bikes_tdg.html
- Spartan Race: West Point – New York Sprint, West Point, 54 Frederick Road, Highland Mills, Saturday, August 25, 2018: This August, Spartan salutes its military history with a race event at West Point’s Lake Frederick. Here, at the USMA, grit is the rule, so they kindly ask that you either leave your fears at home or face them on the course. Spartan Race spectators are welcome. spartan.com/en/race/detail/3511/overview
Be sure to visit Orange County Tourism’s Facebook page: Orange County Tourism NY. It’s a fabulous guide to up-to-the-minute postings of area events and activities, great times, and memorable experiences available to visitors.
Also visit Orange County Tourism’s innovative and user-friendly new website: www.orangetourism.org.
About Orange County Tourism
Orange County Tourism, based in Goshen, N.Y., is the county’s tourism headquarters and a participant in the I LOVE NY program. A comprehensive listing of area attractions, lodging, and events can be found at www.OrangeTourism.org. For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide, e-mail email@example.com or call 845-615-3860.