From onions to corn, the local bounty inspires outdoor fun in Orange County, N.Y
ORANGE COUNTY, N.Y. (August 31, 2016) – The days are getting shorter, and the air is getting crisper. Both are signs that it’s festival season in the Hudson Valley. There’s no better way to enjoy the perfect weather and scenery than by heading to one of these family friendly outdoor events. From live music and craft vendors to local produce and petting zoos, each festival offers a unique atmosphere and schedule of events.
“Harvest festivals surrounded by beautiful autumn leaves appeal to all ages,” said Orange County Tourism Director Susan Hawvermale. “The taste of cider, fields filled with bright orange pumpkins, hayrides, and corn mazes are all part of the fun fall experience.”
Here’s a sampling of some festivals on the calendar in Orange County, NY this September:
• September 4, 2:00 – 5:00 p.m.: Onion Festival featuring Jimmy Sturr and his Orchestra with special guests the Pokolenie Dancers. 16 Legion Road, Pine Island. Event held rain or shine. Bring a blanket or chair. Onion eating contest is at 4 p.m. Purchase tickets in advance or at the door. To purchase by mail send to Jimmy Sturr, Box 1, Florida, NY 10921 or by phone at 1-800-724-0727, www.jimmysturr.com
• September 11, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Orange County Sweet Corn Festival, 366 County Route 12, New Hampton. Featuring live entertainment, farm stands, petting zoo, “Cornival” with children’s activities, corn shucking contest, corn eating contest, vendors, concessions and crafts. Macaroni The Clown will be onsite 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. $10 Admission per carload. www.ocsweetcorn.com
• September 17, 10 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.: Hamptonburgh Country Festival, Hamptonburgh Town Park. Family fun day featuring pumpkin painting, face painting, bounce house, children’s games, mini horses with carts, live oxen demo, milking cow demo and more. Music by Hurley Mountain Band 1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Food and craft vendors. 845 294-9016, Facebook: Hamptonburgh Country Festival
• September 18, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Cornwall Fall Festival, Main Street: A day of live entertainment, delicious food, vendors, raffles, and demonstrations. Bring the kids and enjoy music, inflatables, vendors, pumpkin painting, a hay maze, petting zoo, pony rides and more! 845-675-5014, www.cornwallchamber.org
• September 24, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Harvest Festival, Orange County Farmers Museum: Witness the cornfields being harvested and other antique equipment and tractors on display. 845-457-2959, www.ocfarmersmuseum.org
• September 25, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.: Fall Foliage Festival, Downtown Port Jervis. Come for a day of fun featuring delicious food, live music and entertainment, children’s rides, petting zoo, a large variety of crafters, antiques and vendors and more. Held rain or shine. 845-858-4017, www.portjervisny.org
Be sure to visit Orange County Tourism’s Facebook page: Orange County Tourism NY. It’s a fabulous guide to up-to-the-minute postings of area events and activities, great times, and memorable experiences available to visitors.
Also visit Orange County Tourism’s new website: www.orangetourism.org.
About Orange County Tourism
Orange County Tourism, based in Goshen, N.Y., is the county’s tourism headquarters and a participant in the I LOVE NY program. A comprehensive listing of area attractions, lodging, and events can be found at www.OrangeTourism.org. For a free copy of the Orange County Travel Guide, e-mail email@example.com or call 845-615-3860.